What happens if I retire abroad?

You can claim your state pension from anywhere in the world, and it can be paid into a local bank or one in the UK. If you are retiring to a European Economic Area country, or a country in which the UK has a social security agreement (you can find a full list of these here) you will also be entitled to an annual increase in your state pension just as you would in the UK. 

You should also be able to claim most private pensions abroad without any problems. However, some schemes will only pay into a UK bank, so you may need to arrange a transfer or set up an international account.

Return to Retirement Planning home.